Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Miracles...

Miracles, they exist. In plain sight.
Miracles, I have come to realise, are a matter of perception. Just like how one would view the concept of luck and coincidence. It materializes to those who believe and remains a mirage to those who are skeptical.

But aren't we all skeptics? Demanding rationale, justification and results as pre-requesites in order to believe... In this day and age, we have to dig deep into our minds crevices just to find faith being subjugated by logic and reasoning. What's the point then? If faith has to be verified, then, it's just a fact.

But i guess God anticipated our curiosity. Which could be why, HE peppered hints to prove the existence of faith and its miracles, yet at the same time made them subtle to protect their sanctity. Simply put, ( I assume) He created one of the biggest conundrums( perspectives) to ensure only true believers are able to bear witness to miracles..
I used Faith and Miracles interchangeably, for both them require the same to condition to exist. You need to believe.

Till recently, my definition of a Miracle had always been the occurence of the impossible. But not any more. Life itself is a miracle. The very breath i draw is a miracle. I met a man who some time back who opened my eyes to a number of miracles. By doing so , he helped me re-affirm my beliefs ( ironically i needed proof to believe as well).

Tahira's Uncle was diagnosed with cancer and it was terminal. He soldiered on against it for a mind blowing 1.5 years. I visited him a number of times.. Each time he taught a lesson. Once when i was sitting next to him thinking how much worse is he going to suffer, as if he read my thought bubble, he gives a smirk and looks to his brother . And as if given a que, his brother tells me the story of Prophet Ayub. A very timely lesson indeed.

On another visit, i was sitting next to him thinking why is he being tested so much considering he is a very pious man. Through him i saw one more of HIS miracles. Through his bed ridden sufferings, he united an entire fueding family and gave each of them a second chance to mend broken fences and make ammends.

Uncle gave a gift to everyone there during his passing. I pray that all of them can see the gift and appreciate it.

After a very long time, I teared. As the first drops rolled down my cheeks, i realised why life was so frail. For if it wasn't, we as human beings, simply would have taken it for granted. The most important lesson came when the tears hit the earth and dried up. Every day we get to live is a miracle. Just like how the tears evaporated, so does the days that were loaned to us by HIM. Make everyday count.

My meetings with Uncle was the biggest miracle in my life yet. Insha Allah, if i get to live long enough, i shall try my best( Insha Allah) to be of some purpose and direction to others (like how Uncle was to me) before my life comes to a close.

Uncle, you will always live on in my heart and iin my prayers. Thank you for opening my eyes.

No comments: