Friday, August 10, 2007

Mocha Frap... and the Cafeterian Muslim.

Each sip was cooling every inch of my parched throat. The fluffy sofas were very much appreciated after a long day of an uneventful shopping spree. Stretching backwards and hearing the cracks coming off my back was damn shiok man. I just love the lounge setting and the ambience of Starbucks at The Cathay. It has been a very long time since i last came here. Too long.

I always go up to the counter to choose on a drink..and i will be going like "hmm, this...nope... hmmm ...that... nah... its ok...." and finally i would settle upon a choice which happened to be the same one i had made the many times i had visited Starbucks before.

The Mocha Frappucino - A delightfully sweet and creamy combination of coffee, milk and chocolate, blended with ice, topped with whipped cream.

It was while waiting for my coffee to be served that my mind started wondering off... You see, there was this short queue at the collection point. Before me was a an indian muslim guy(i know he is indian muslim from an earlier incident) and his malay girlfriend who was very provocatively dressed.. To be honest, she did look quite hot, and she can easily tugg at one's primal instincts. It didn't help at all when that they were smooching either. I was growing very uncomfortable and all i wanted to do was just take my drink and proceed back to my seat.

My seat, gave me a panoptic view of the coffee house, and i was able to observe everyone seated there. Sipping on my frap, i noticed another muslim (enough of this Indian or Malay segregation) couple. Girl was very tudung and the works, guy was very decent looking. All seemed ok except that they seem to be glued to each other.. The guys hand was over her shoulder and stroking her side. All these kicked off my analytical train of thoughts.

What was wrong with the picture that i just saw? Hmm they were Muslims and they all had broken some code of conduct according to Islamic laws. It's only when i was desperately trying to make sense of what i saw, the cafe's menu board came into perspective. Earlier i walked over to the menu board, of everything that was provided, i selected what i wanted/ preferred and simply gave a blind eye to the rest. To options that i could have alternatively taken, i came up with some "nope and Nah's"...

Likewise , of the doctrine that Islam has illustrated to us. Absorb and practice only those particular laws that seem feasible and doesn't conflict with our interest... the rest, just simply overlook. Or when confronted come up with some theories.."I only kiss only wat.. not having his baby or anythin rite" , " I am going to marry her wat so wat if she is pregnant now??" , " Does it mean i am a bad muslim if i wear fashionable clothes? its the intention that counts wat..." etc etc etc. There is a myriad of explanations for being very cafeterian about Islam ..

As a guy born into a modernistic Singapore, i can truly accept the provocatively dressed gal or the touchy couple...But when comparing and contrasting it with the Syariah, i am really at a loss for words..
1) Simply because the Quranic text still holds its relevance to the current date.. and not even a single word has been changed in all its existence.
2) I myself belong to the cafeterian muslim, simple example.. i am to be covered from the navel to knee at least (aurat) , and yet i only wear a singlet and a running shorts when i go for my routine run... my rationale being... the comfort and etc...there are alot more flaws that i can tell about myself ... but i rather you relfect upon your own...

I realize that there are 3 types of people.
1) there are those who do not know and do nothing about it.
2) there are those who know and did something about it
3) there are those who know and did nothing about it.

Which one are you? guess everyone have their own demons to fight.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well thought bro. Like the analogy. I used to just drink Mocha Frap too but now got hooked on Java Chip Frap after it was introduced to me by a friend.
This entry quite spicy like chilli padi. Funny though that we both have similar thoughts about Shariah Laws this week. It's true that nowadays, the Muslims pick and choose what they want, not what has been stated for them in the Qur'an. I'm not saying I'm perfect, I'm one of them too. I guess everybody is one of them....the difference is whether the mistakes have been realised and repentance has been sought. I guess that is what that differentiates people from one another, in relation to the 3 types of people you had stated - the ignorant, the obedient, the rebellious. As to which one group I belong to, I can only say I strive my best to be (2), but I'm only human. Only Allah knows best.

Love this entry. I really like to read your laid out thoughts. Keep it coming.

Nunbun said...

This is an ongoing malaise (if I can call it that?) in contemporary society. In fact, I was just thinking about this last night, when a friend described her friend, a non-Muslim, who questioned the need to convert to Islam to marry her bf when the bf himself did not pray etc.

Then I realised: in all our general discourse on being Muslim, there seems to be either the "OK" or "not OK". Meaning, there is a whole range of outwardly (observable) OKs to fulfil to be a Muslim (Muslim, not even "good" Muslim yet). Between these two, there is no compromise. I think this is the heart of many debates to "re-define" the shariah, and to recontextualise certain Islamic concepts to fit our daily living.

But my take is that there are a certain minimum conditions to fulfill to be a Muslim (for God's sakes and not for whether people see you as one or not), and we should struggle to reach those minimum conditions, if we choose and resolve to do so. It is not so much as to be known as Muslim - that is in itself seems to be very debatable these days. I guess it is to behave like a good human being as loved by God and our Prophet s.a.w. , by doing all the things they prescribe, for our benefit.

As what the Prophet s.a.w. has said very frankly - religion is just good advice.

Dabbler in Life said...

*Reader Delurk*

My 2 cents worth. No necessity to 'classify' - we haev too many demarcations and segregations as it is. I am Singaporean. Indian. Muslim. Female.

I choose to identify myself as a human. As a person, imperfect as I am.

To me - my faith is in heart & mind. Not in my dressing or social circles.

-------- end of 2 cents worth------

*back to lurking in the background*